Salem Church History

 Salem German Baptist Brethren Church, OR, located in the Willamette Valley. Salem resulted from a division of the Willamette Valley (originally South Santaan) Congregation   when the territory was divided in 1881. Salem was assigned the area north of the North Santaam River, whereas Lebanon (Later Albany) received the southern section.  Elder David Brower presided has elder over  both Salem and Lebanon. by 1895 the Salem congregation had declined in numbers from seventy-five to taken twenty-nine. a report by the district indicated in 1892 that the expected increase of settle had not taken place and internal dissension had created difficulties. Salem was disorganized in 1903   

  The Brethren Encyclopedia Vol. 2, page 1139-1140 

Return to Previous Page Return to Churches Page  Return to Front Page