Powells Valley Church

  In 1881 J. A. Royer and family moved from Kansas and settled for the winter in Gresham, Oregon, eleven miles east of Portland.  Here already were five members living.  Eld David Brower, of the Salem Church, soon came and held some meetings.  In the two successive summers that he labored among us, five in Multnomah and three in Clackamas counties were baptized.  Some of these did not prove faithful, but Bro. Brower came back every month and preached and baptized others.  On Sept. 27, 1884, the congregation was organized and J. A. Royer was called to the deaconís office.  A year later, Sept. 26, 1885, they held their first love feast.  The membership then had increased to twenty-two. At this feast J. A. Royer was chosen minister.  Nov. 21, following, at a council meeting, F. M.  Day, David Black and John Metzger were called to serve as deacons.  December, 1895, Geo. C. Carl placed his membership in this congregation and he became the first resident elder.  Fourteen members have been gained within the last years, making the total membership thirty-six at present. Geo. C. Carl is elder; A. H,. Partch, who located in the congregation in 1899, and J. A. Royer, are the ministers assisting.  P. J. Quesenburg and George Partch are deacons.  Only six of the carter members reside in the congregation at this time.  There is great need of a minister settling in Gresham.  The Brethren have a half interest in a good churchhouse, and an unusually good opening awaits someone.

by J. A. Royer.

The Missionary Visitor February 1906 page 86

See the Portland Church History for more information.


Return to Previous Page Return to Churches Page  Return to Front Page