taken in 1941
This short history written just three years after the
congregation was organized was published in The Missionary Visitor
Feb. 1906 page 81
Jan. 5, 1903,
the Ashland congregation dates the beginning of its organization. Eld. G. W.
Hoxie, of the Rogue River congregation, presided, and was chosen as elder. In all twenty members handed in letters
at this meeting and are considered charter members. Among this number were
Brethren C. E. Nininger and S. E. Decker, ministers in the second degree, and D.
M. Bowser in the First. At the
present time the membership has reached thirty-three, and S. E. Decker who as
since been ordained is bishop. A
flourishing Sunday school, with fifty scholars enrolled, prayer meetings,
sistersí sewing circle, Christian Workersí meetings, and preaching twice each
Lordís Day, are all indications that this band though very young, is one of the
most active, vigorous and healthy congregations on the coast. In forming the settlement, the members
seen to have sought unity of effort rather than individual interests and as a
result they have but two members living away from the body.
Sent in to The Missionary
Visitor by Cora B. Decker